Magnolia Plantation and Gardens is offering free admission on Sunday, Nov. 11, and Monday, Nov. 12, to active duty military personnel and veterans and their immediate family. This free admission during the Veterans Day observance only applies to the general garden admission. The separate tours are not included. Valid active duty or veteran’s identification is required. For more information, call 843-571-1266.
Fee Free Day at National Parks. To honor America’s service men and women, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar announced that areas managed by the National Park Service would not charge entrance fees for Veterans Day weekend – November 10-12, 2012. Everyone is eligible, not just veterans. Over 100 national Parks will be participating in this event.
Multiple agencies will share information and have interactive displays on hand for family fun
Charleston County Government <http://www.charlestoncounty.org/> announces a Fire Safety and Prevention Expo from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 10. The event, which is free to the public, will be held at the Seewee Visitor Center <http://www.fws.gov/seweecenter/> located on Highway 17 north in the Town of Awendaw. For directions, go to http://www.fws.gov/seweecenter/seweemap.html. The event was originally scheduled for Oct. 27 but was postponed due to anticipated poor weather that weekend.
“Those who attend will have the opportunity to meet some of the members of local agencies that serve their community,” said Ken Justice, engineer with the Awendaw Fire Department. “Our department along with several other agencies will provide handouts and specific information pertaining to the agencies’ missions.”
The Awendaw Fire Department is providing hot dogs and soda. Chic-fil-A restaurant is providing sweet tea and lemonade, and will also have their cow mascot at the expo.
Multiple local and state agencies will be represented at the expo, including:
- Charleston County Government <http://charlestoncounty.org/>
- Awendaw Fire Department <http://charlestoncounty.org/departments/EmergencyMgmt/Awendaw.htm>
- Sheriff’s Office <http://www.ccso.charlestoncounty.org/>
- Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad <http://charlestoncounty.org/departments/EmergencyMgmt/rescue.htm>
- EMS <http://charlestoncounty.org/Departments/EMS/index.htm>
- S.C. Department of Natural Resources <http://www.dnr.sc.gov/>
- U.S. Forest Service <http://www.fs.fed.us/>
- S.C. State Forestry Commission <http://www.state.sc.us/forest/>
- Charleston Firefighter Support Team <http://charlestonffsupport.blogspot.com/>
- The MEDUCARE <http://www.med-trans.net/airMedical/viewarticle.asp?ID=48&team=MEDUCARE%20-%20Charleston,%20South%20Carolina> helicopter
Head over to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore on Oct. 27 from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. They will have trick or treating and free popcorn for kids. From 1–3 p.m. they will have storytime. And if you dress in costume, you will get 20 percent off your entire purchase.
You can find some really great deals in the store. I love to find old furniture and refinish. You can save a fortune and your money goes to a good cause.
The ReStore is located at 101 Greyback Road, Summerville (843) 871-1159
Bring the kids to a Halloween event at the Knightsville United Methodist Church, 1505 Central Ave., Summerville, SC 29483 on Saturday, Oct. 27, from 6 to 8 p.m.
Enjoy trick-or-treating, jump castles, face painting, hayride and a maze.