South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier hasn’t talked to his team about the big picture following Saturday night’s 41-30 loss at Georgia.
Not about the SEC East rankings. Not about the Gamecocks chance to still make it to Atlanta, site of the SEC Championship Game.
On Sunday, Spurrier placed expectations much lower than his team’s No. 13 national ranking.
“I hope we’re just sort of back down to earth that we’re not a very good team right now,” Spurrier said during his Sunday afternoon teleconference. “We better work hard and get our stuff together. We don’t have to worry about any kinds of divisions, SEC Championships.”
So, what should expectations be for these Gamecocks?
“We’re worried about going to a bowl game right now,” Spurrier said. “That’s what we need to worry about — winning seven games, or eight games if we can. That’s what we need to do. We need to try to beat Vandy this week. That’s what we need to worry about.
“We’ll let all that talk go to those other guys right now. We have zero conference wins, and the way we performed yesterday, it doesn’t look real pretty for us unless we change our ways around here.”
Spurrier hinted to lowered expectations in his postgame remarks Saturday night, saying hopes were too high for a team with so many youngsters. On Sunday, he left no doubt.
Here are a few more Sunday notes and quotes:
- Spurrier said center Cody Waldrop (sprained foot) is “doubtful” for USC’s upcoming game against Vanderbilt. He was pleased with backup Clayton Stadnik’s play.
- HBC said the sideline fight between linebackers coach Kirk Botkin and defensive line coach Deke Adams was competitive nature: “They’re OK now… They were out of character. Obviously that need not happen any more.”
- Spurrier won’t “spill the beans” on defensive changes coming this week, but said unit needs to be more fundamentally sound.
- Spurrier said the fourth-and-goal, shotgun play was “a bad call.” It had worked in the past, “but it wasn’t this time.”
- Spurrier: “I think it’s evident that Georgia not only outplayed us, but they outcoached in this ballgame yesterday.”
- Spurrier: “We’ve got some regrouping to do, there’s no question about it. We’ve got to get back to basic fundamentals.”